Is there any point in making New Years resolutions? 2 weeks in and they have normally already been broken. It feels pointless. But there is something about starting a new year and setting yourself goals. Goals and resolutions – are they the same thing? I’m not sure they are. Resolutions feels like something I have to stick to and I’m a failure if I break, but goals just feels like something to aim for throughout the year. A looser term, if you will!
Resolutions are normally always the same thing every year, purely because you didn’t actually achieve it the previous years. I know this all sounds a bit Moaning Minnie, but the point I’m trying to get at is, if we set looser goals we won’t feel so suffocated in to sticking to them. So, I guess you know what’s coming next!
My GOALS for 2016:
- CALM – that probably sounds weird, but my goal for 2016 is to remain calmer. I have a terrible problem with stress and anxiety as of late. I get an awful belly when I am anxious or stressed and it’s starting to drive me crazy. Sometimes in my head I’m not actually anxious but my body is telling me otherwise! It drives me insane. So, I bought a book called Calm by Michael Acton Smith. I can’t wait to read it and do some of the activities inside.
Using a mixture of creative prompts, activities, instructions and inspiration, Calm will open your eyes to the pleasure and richness of everyday life. – Michael Acton Smith
2. A LINE A DAY – I have also bought this cool little diary which is over 5 years. Everyday for 5 years you write a line about your day or how you felt, then each year you can see what you were up to the year before. I thought this would be nice, as we get married this year, it will be a diary of the build up to and first 5 years of our marriage!
3. GYM – As I mentioned before, I am getting married in 5 months (god, that sounds scary) and I want to continue to get fit. In all honesty it’s not just for the wedding, but because I enjoy going and it’s a fab way to de-stress. My goal is to try and go 4 times a week. I have already booked next weeks classes!
4. Breathe – well obviously!! What I really mean is take deep breathes. It’ll help on so many levels.
5. WRITE – Just keep writing on this blog. Once a week, twice a week, whatever it may be. Not sticking to a structured schedule, just writing and posting when I feel I have something to say.
What are your thoughts on resolutions? Have you set any? Or have you just got some goals to aim for this year? Either way it’s nice to have something to kick start 2016!